Had a chat with one of my oldest friends yesterday and today’s blog post was born! Although I love to use oils for pretty much anything and everything, there are other natural alternatives that I use daily as well. Apple cider vinegar being the main one. There are so many benefits and ways to use this stuff that it should definitely be moved to your medicine cabinet! By taking advantage of this natural product you really can reduce the amount of chemicals you introduce into your daily life by more than you might think!
We always get Bragg organic apple cider vinegar – with the mother of course. Which is key to the health in all of this, so make sure you are getting the right one! You can find this anywhere, but I typically get ours from the Vitamin Shoppe down the street.
My husband is all into this as well, and typically we take it the same way every day (or night), which is a shot of it straight down the hatch. We do 50/50 APV and water in the shot glass, as it is not good to take this stuff without diluting it – your tooth enamel and esophagus wont be too happy with you.
There are so many benefits to ingesting apple cider vinegar – especially for those facing blood sugar issues or diabetes. The head of ASU’s nutrition program believes it’s effects on blood sugar are similar to some medications you would take. Anytime you can do something naturally rather then chemically, I say yes please!
Apple cider vinegar’s anti-glycemic effect is very well documented – it blocks some of the digestion of starch. Not all of it, but it prevents at least some of that starch from being digested and raising your blood sugar.
It’s also been noted to assist in weight management. The researchers suggest that vinegar may turn on certain genes involved in breaking down fats.
That chunky stuff at the bottom is known as “the mother,” and it’s full of probiotics and other beneficial bacteria. Ingesting ACV helps to support immune function and can help with constipation too.
Now, ingesting apple cider vinegar is not the only way to reap the benefits. I wanted to include a quick list/reference guide to give you some ideas:
1. healthy, shiny hair: take an empty shampoo bottle an add 1/2 TSBP of ACV and a cup of water. A couple times a week you can rinse your hair with this solution after you shampoo to give your hair some extra shine and umph.
2.Skin health: Dilute 2:1 with water, and replace your current toner. Just throw this mix on a cotton ball and you are good to go. Morning or night, a dab of apple cider vinegar can also be left on the skin overnight to fade age spots or acne scars.
3. Help sooth sunburn: dump a cup in your bath and soak for 10 min.
4. Help with that stubborn heartburn: I know this sounds wrong. But there is research suggesting that apple cider vinegar works by correcting low acid, hence reducing heartburn.
5. Fleas on dogs: I actually like to us essential oils for this more, but for those of you who are interested in this… One part vinegar and one part water. Spray on your pets fur and rub into the skin. Make sure to saturate the entire coat, and continue every day for up to a week.
6. Remove stains from teeth: Rub teeth directly with apple cider vinegar, and rinse with water
Honestly, I could keep going! There are so many uses for ACV that the options are endless. I suggest looking up a couple articles or recipes to see how you can incorporate this into your daily life. At least take a watered down shot every day to get started in the right direction. It’s so easy and good for you – what’s your excuses not to?